Maybe you have only just heard about Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP), also known as a Hair Tattoo, or perhaps you’ve done months of research but still have some questions floating around. This article will take you through the SMP process from the first enquiry to the last session, so you know exactly what to expect at a Foli Sim SMP clinic.
Step 1: Lets connect!
First things first, we need to know you are thinking about SMP before we can help, right? So don’t be shy to reach out! There are multiple ways to get in touch with Foli Sim’s Perth, Sydney, or Melbourne clinics.
You can contact Foli Sim via:
- Calling 1300 668 490
- Email us directly on email@example.com
- Visit folisim.com.au. Fill out an enquiry form and one of our staff will contact you on your preferred method within 24 hours.
- Direct message us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or Tik Tok with your name and contact details. We’ll contact you within 24 hours.
Step 2: Consult, Communicate, Confirm!
At Foli Sim, it’s imperative that we assess every scalp in person during a 100% confidential and obligation-free consultation before we go ahead with any procedure.
SMP is not one size fits all and it must be tailored to the individual. Suitability and pricing can vary greatly from person to person, and this can be due to a multitude of factors that must be assessed by experienced professionals in one of our clinics. Factors that will be discussed and assessed include:
- Hair loss pattern, current hair loss stage (Norwood assessment), and potential future hair loss. This will determine your suitability for SMP and allow us to provide you with the best option for your stage of hair loss.
- Overall scalp condition, including but not limited to pre-existing sun damage and scalp scarring.
- Any previous SMP, hair tattoo or hair transplants
- Desired results and expectations. Depending on what look you are after, density work or an all-over buzz-cut / shaven look will influence the treatment plan and price.
- Quote for total treatment. The price is influenced by the above factors mentioned.
- Mapping sessions to achieve results. Typically SMP will be delivered over 2-4 sessions as required; these sessions are usually spaced 7-14 days apart. This is to ensure that the process is not rushed, the pigment has time to settle, and the scalp has healed completely before your next treatment.
- Every completed treatment by Foli Sim has a 12 month guarantee from the date of the third session. Any areas that are of concern or require a touch-up during the 12 months post-treatment will be free of charge.
Step 3: Ready to book?
Option A: If you wish to start your SMP journey after your free consultation, Foli Sim will work with you to find suitable treatment dates with your preferred practitioner. For your convenience, we offer weekend appointments at all our clinics. Foli Sim only requires a 10% deposit to secure your dates and book your procedure.
Option B: Alternatively, if you would like more time to consider your options, our artists always encourage you to take your time, do your research, and ask as many questions as you need. Contact us when you are ready. If you feel you would like to come in and have another free consultation (phone and video may also be available options), then please feel free to contact us to arrange this.
Online / Phone Consultation Option
We do understand that sometimes it can be difficult to find time to make it into a clinic and get your journey underway. For this reason, Foli Sim offers the option of online/phone consultations to those clients who are unable to make it into one of our clinics. If you would like an online/phone consultation, we ask that you first send us images of your scalp with a brief description, so that our artists can assess your suitability prior to the consultation. Please note that Foli Sim can only provide an exact price following an in-person consultation and assessment.
WhatsApp: +61 425 869 926
What is the Price for SMP?
The cost to complete SMP will depend on many factors, including the pattern of hair loss, the size of the area to be treated, and the presence of any scars. As a guide, men and women can expect to pay…
- For mild hair loss: Between $800-1500
- Medium hair loss: Between $1500-2500
- Advance hair loss: Between $2500-3500
To obtain a more precise cost estimate, simply email your images to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and our office will provide a written estimate within 24 hours.
For optimal results, most clients will require between 2-4 sessions to complete the SMP process, with 3 sessions being the most common. These sessions are spaced between 7-14 days apart to allow adequate pigment settlement and scalp healing time. Each treatment is estimated to last anywhere from 1-4 hours depending on individual client’s needs.
Treatment One – Laying the foundations:
The first session lays the foundation for the next 2-3 treatments and is the ‘base’ layer of pigment to replicate the hair. Together with your artist, you’ll design the hairline and look you want; this will be the first construction of your new hair line.
While you will receive full coverage of SMP, this session is designed to be a lighter and more conservative scattering of pigment compared to the following treatments. This is so that the artist can observe and address accordingly (between session 1 & 2), as the way that the pigment settles into your skin provides opportunities to adjust the pigment shade according to your skin tone and hair colour. It also works to build up the SMP on the skin rather than overloading it. This process is how our artists achieve subtle, natural-looking, and realistic results.
Treatment Two & Three – Noticeable difference:
After your artist has observed a healed result from the first session, it’s time to add density and refine your hairline. At the end of the second treatment, you’ll notice the most difference. In this session, your artist will spend between 1 to 4 hours (depending on client needs) blending the new pigment in with the lightly scattered pigment from the first session and in between your existing hair. Your artist will build your hairline further by scattering more pigment into the area and work to create a natural, fuller-looking head of hair.
After the second session, your artist will determine whether you need another treatment before the final session.
Final Treatment – The Perfection Session:
The final treatment is also known as the ‘perfection session’. In this session, the artist will spend approximately 1 to 3 hours carefully implementing the final touches of your SMP; this includes filling in any areas on the scalp that need any extra SMP, perfecting the hairline, and giving you the opportunity to finalise your look with your artist.
After each session, you will experience some local redness and tenderness that will subside within a few hours to a few days. After each session is completed, your artist will thoroughly explain the details of how to care for your new investment and provide you with a take-home step-by-step guide on what to expect in the days post-treatment.
Your SMP is an investment, and your artist will provide you with thorough details regarding how to care for it between treatments. Caring for your Scalp Micropigmentation is vital for the longevity of your pigment and the overall satisfaction of the result.
Important information on Aftercare:
- Day 1: After each treatment, there will be local redness. Depending on your skin type and immune system, this redness will last anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days. You can wear a clean hat during this time.
- Day 1 – 3: We ask you not to wet the scalp or use chemicals or shampoo. We also suggest you avoid excessive sweating during this time. Foli Sim will provide you with an Aftercare Balm to help with the healing process.
- Day 4 – 6: You are now free to wet the scalp with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Day 7: Your scalp should be fully healed by now, meaning you can wash and shampoo your scalp.
- Swimming in chlorinated or seawater for at least 14 days.
- Using saunas and steam rooms.
- Direct sunlight for at least 28 days post treatment.
- Always use a quality sunscreen / and or suitable hat to protect your scalp from the sun and the elements.
Foli Sim Guarantee to You:
After your final treatment, Foli Sim offers a 12 month guarantee meaning if you require a touch-up during this time, it will be free of charge. SMP by Foli Sim is considered permanent, however touch-ups may be required in the following 3 to 5 years depending on further hair loss, sun exposure and your immune system.
For more information, feel free to contact one of our friendly team members who will be more than happy to assist with your enquiry.